Candle magic is one of the simplest forms of spell casting. It doesn’t require a lot of fancy ritual or expensive ceremonial tools. In other words, anyone with a candle can cast a spell.
Remember when you were a child and you made a wish before you blew out the candles on your birthday cake?? Same theory, only now instead of just hoping, you’re declaring your intent. The birthday candle ritual is based on three key magical principles:
- Decide on a goal
- Visualize the end result
- Focus your intent, or will, to manifest that result
That is the same process for Candle Magic.
For your first step, take a pen to paper and write out the goal of the magic. Think clearly about the end result as you form your thoughts and words. This is where you want to start the process of focusing your intent. As you write down your goal, visualize yourself achieving that goal. Think about the different ways in which your goal might manifest.
Then choose a candle color that corresponds with your goal. The size of the candle you use is a personal choice, but I recommend using votive sized or 4 inch tapers as they will burn in a shorter amount of time than a big pillar candle.
Some color correspondences:
- Red: Courage and health, love and lust
- Pink: Friendship, love and romance
- Orange: Attraction and encouragement
- Gold: Financial gain and business matters
- Yellow: Persuasion and protection
- Green: Financial gain, prosperity, abundance, fertility
- Light Blue: Health, patience and understanding
- Dark Blue: Depression and vulnerability
- Purple: Intuition, psychic development, ambition
- Brown: Earth-related or animal related
- Black: Negativity, banishing
- White: Purity and truth *
- Silver: Reflection, intuition, moon/lunar connections
* Note that in many traditions, it is acceptable to use a white candle in place of any other color.
After you’ve selected a candle, you’ll want to dress it before burning. This is how you will establish a psychic link between you and the candle itself. In other words, you’re charging the candle with your own energy and personal vibrations, and projecting your intent into the wax before you burn it.
To dress a candle, you’ll need a natural oil — grapeseed is a good choice because it has no smell. Vegetable or olive oil will work also. Another option is to use special candle magic oils from one of the metaphysical supply stores.
While focusing on your goal, begin at the top of the candle, and rub the oil downward to the middle. Then, begin at the base of the candle and rub the oil up towards the middle, ending where the first coating of oil left off. To add some extra punch to your magic, you can roll the candle in corresponding herb powder until it is coated all the way around.
Light the candle, fold the paper, and focusing on your intent/goal, light the paper with the candle flame and immediately drop it into a heat proof receptacle.
Allow the candle to burn down completely. When it is done, dispose of the remaining wax bits by burying it or any method you choose.